Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Quad Cities

This past weekend, I went up north to Burlington Iowa to do the Quad Cities criteriums on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. The first, my favorite one- Snake Alley, which is a crit that contains a 5 switchback brick climb that kills everyone, and a super fast downhill was extra hot this year. The average highs were 20 degrees above normal, so that made for an interesting (and sweaty) weekend. I had a great start, and stayed top 10 the entire race. I got sprinted for the finish, and ended up 12th. Oh well. The next day, Melon City, was another crit with a good hill on it (which I like too) and got squeezed out for the sprint, and ended up 12th again. It seemed to be my lucky number or something. I should probably work on my sprints- something that most mountain bikers are not super good at. The last day, Rock Island, was a typical, flat crit. Not exactly my style. But, I figured it was good training. I got caught up in a crash about half way in, and after that I wasn't really that into it since my knee and shoulder really hurt. I still sprinted, and ended up top 20 which is what I was hoping for. At least I can say I made it to the end, kinda in one piece. Overall, it was a good weekend, and I got some good training in for the next Norba in North Carolina. I actually kind of liked the road scene- Hmmmm...

No comments: