Monday, June 19, 2006

Nature Valley Grand Prix

So, the Nature Valley Stage Race ended yesterday in Minneapolis, and I was there but not racing. I had decided to do this stage race for 2 reasons: for the training mostly, and for experience. Coming straight back from the Norba in NC, I was pretty tired. I came home Sunday night at midnight, then worked 2 x 12 hour shifts Monday and Tuesday, and then drove up to MN on Wednesday morning for Nature Valley. I did pretty bad in the time trial, but I was ok with that since I could barely stay awake. The next day was the 58 mile road race. There were 30mph winds so I knew it was going to be hard. The racing began at the word go- there was a sprint on mile 2.7 and so we were going hard. The wind was making everyone nervous, and as a result there were 4 major crashes during the race. Unfortunately I got caught behind 2 of them, and I could not bridge back up to the pack in the wind. I was in between 2 groups, and I knew I didn't have the energy to get to the one up front so I sat up and waited for the next group- This was at mile 20, so I needed help to get this race done. I got into a group of about 12 girls that included kenda, dairyland, Look, Coltivita, Velo Bella, and a few others I didn't know. We rode hard and all rotated together well, but it wasn't enough. We got time cut, and afterward I discovered I was 1 minute off- if we had sprinted the last mile or so, I would have made the time cut. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. Hopefully I will be doing this race again next year- I can only do better! Now it's time to rest and regroup before July's Norbas. I am really looking forward to Park City and doing well at Sonoma. I might be doing some local racing over the next couple of weeks. Who knows.

No comments: