Wednesday, November 21, 2007

USGP #2

ahh, finally got my chance to race a gp, since last year i spent every one of them on the sidelines. i was really excited to get on the start line with everyone- i have been doing other cross races but this series is the one that matters- and since i was sick for the first gp in KY, i was definitely looking forward to this set of races.
we arrived in the philly airport thursday night (barb, amy d., and kathy sherwin) and headed towards trenton NJ. luckily we found a whole foods near by and ate some tasty salad bar stuff that night. the next morning we headed to the course to check it out- it was cloudy, windy and cold. the course was pretty flat and grassy with plenty of twists and turns. There was a long sand pit, which i almost made it through once, and a fly over which had really steep stairs on one side, a short platform to remount, and a steep ride on the backside. it was a little freaky to ride it the first time, especially since at the bottom the transition was not good, and 100% of the time i wasnt clipped in so it was sort of sketchy.
before saturdays race, i did a easy prelap to check out how the legs were feeling and make sure there were no changes in the course. i was pedaling around chatting with katerina nash behind me, and came up to the barriers- i guess i forgot how tall they were, and i carelessly tripped over the first barrier and fell flat on my face. i was so embarrassed, and katerina picked up my bike for me- i guess i was so concerned with whether or not someone saw me that i didn't realize how much i had hurt myself. i finished warming up and got lined up. it was really cold, and my body didn't feel like going hard in the beginning- i was also having pedal issues which prevented me from clipping in- the candies don't work well with wet sand i found. i got so frustrated with it that i basically stopped racing, and just rode around until the end of the race. needless to say i finished horribly. i was determined to have a better race on sunday.
i woke up sunday and i could hardly move. i had gotten some tape from the drug store and taped up my ribs which felt better. my dad was driving from hershey, PA to see me race, so i wanted to do well- but i was hurting pretty bad. the rain had started during the night, and soaked the course. the temps dropped and the wind was howling. perfect cross weather- the course turned out to be way better than the day before- only i couldn't breathe deep due to my stupid crash. i was determined to race anyway- i had more fun riding (yes, i said riding, not racing) on sunday- even though i did horribly, i got to see my dad, and play around in the mud. i did crash once on the last lap onto my bad side which knocked the wind out of me- that hurt. i think my teammate melonie thought i was dying- i was gasping for air and she kept looking back to see if i got up. i finished the race, and went back to the hotel to get warm. we all went out for dinner that night to celebrate the team's good work (amy d. rocked it sunday, getting most aggressive rider) and everyone else did really well. its always nice to have teammates around to get you through the rough patches of racing- it can be tough sometimes, especially when you're frustrated with mechanicals or injuries- and in my case i had both... overall it was not the weekend i was expecting, but i made the best of it, and now i am trying to heal up before portland. its nothing that a little percocet can't help...

No comments: