Saturday, January 26, 2008

Renewed love...

thats it- i have rediscovered my love- my body not knowing exactly what to do at first, my legs unsure of where to be, my arms quivering as i rolled out- and then, it happened. i began to ride. not smooth at all; my feet making almost perfect squares, but it didn't matter. i am back on the bike...
my first pedal strokes felt so foreign to me, as if i had never done it before. i took the last 5 weeks off- longer than i ever have. my legs have only known the flutter kick during that time since i have been swimming. but alas, i have now remembered why i love to ride my bike! its glorious! the wind, the fresh air, the rhythm, the mechanics, the power output to propel this machine underneath me- so natural and good.
ok so maybe my average power was only about 120 watts (yeah, i know) but it doesn't matter- because i am back on my bike- and to me its the most exciting thing that has happened to me since i heard the bad news of the fracture. the doc gave me the "ok" to ride yesterday. the swimming has been fine, but definitely not fun- back and forth in a pool for 3.4k everyday with no music just the gurgling of water in and out of my ears- now finally some music! its wonderful. really. i was only allowed 30 minutes, and it took me that long to get dressed for the ride! but it was well worth it- to have the feeling of the bike, rolling over the pavement, smooth. now i know why i ride. because i love it.

1 comment:

The Pac NW T. Cowie said...

yeah!! this is why we are pro cyclists and not pro plumbers. well actually we're both. but mostly cyclists.

very inspiring piece!